Monday, July 30, 2012

Double Book Review: Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton


by Rosamund Lupton
Crown Publishers, April 2012

Gina and Jamie both read this suspense thriller about a mother and daughter trying to investigate school fire arson while outside their injured bodies.








Gina's Review:
I loved this book and recommend it to everyone. It was beautifully written, suspenseful, and emotional. I enjoyed the unusual perspective of the narrator being in a coma, yet able to "see" what was happening. I was caught up in her frustration of not being able to communicate what she saw to her husband and son, and of not knowing who set the fire and why. The portrayal of the family dealing with this tragedy was moving. The mystery kept me guessing until the end.








Jamie's Review:
I found this book difficult to enjoy because the suspense and mystery surrounding the fire competed with the emotional side of the book. As a result, I felt like the book was fighting between two genres. I liked the idea of the mother and daughter having an out-of-body experience together, but this concept was not emphasized as much as it could have been due to the mystery. I thought the whodunnit mystery upstaged the relationship between the narrating mother and the other characters as well as the author's literary writing style. However, I would try the first book by this author just to see how she approaches a different story idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment