Monday, January 13, 2014

What, Me Organized?


Yikes!
One would think that as a librarian I might have great organizational skills.  One would be wrong.  Oh sure, I know the Dewey Decimal System inside out and backwards.  But have you seen my office?  It's a mess!  Often you cannot see the top of my desk, and I have a big desk!  And don't even get me started on the counters and cupboards!

So for 2014 I will be reorganizing and decluttering and generally trying to straighten up my office.  But where to start?  Luckily, I work in a library...so I went to the shelves and found several books that may be of help.  Here are some that I found:

What's A Dis-Organized Person To Do? by Stacy Platt.  Professional organizer Platt provides 317 great ideas, projects and tips to help you unclutter your overstuffed life.  There are projects for every room in the house.

Organizing from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Home, Your Office, and Your Life by Julie Morgenstern.  Morgenstern has a three-step process to start organizing:  analyze, strategize and attack.  She offers lots of great ideas for home and office.

Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley (The Fly Lady).  Do you suffer from C.H.A.O.S (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome)?  The Fly Lady actually makes organizing and cleaning fun.  She starts with baby steps to decluttering and keeps the amount of time spent on chores limited.  The Fly Lady helps establish routines that make it easy to keep ahead of the clutter.  Some of my favorite Fly Lady things are the 27 Fling Boogie and the Hot Spot Fire Drill.  When you do the 27 Fling Boogie set your timer for 15 minutes, grab a box and run through the house collecting things to give away.   When the time goes off , you are done for the day.  A Hot Spot is a place in your home or office that collects stuff -- and if left unattended it will spread like a wild fire.  When you do a  Hot Spot Fire Drill, you spend 5 minutes putting away all the things that have accumulated there.

I found the books and tools I'll be using to get organized this year!  If you need some tips and ideas, stop in the Library, we have lots of books on keeping track of your stuff and I know just where to find them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment