Monday, February 24, 2014

Staff Picks: E-books!

Most of the books I read are physical library books but the convenience of e-books keeps me reading more conveniently and widely. With e-books, I can read anywhere on anything--a desktop, laptop, e-reader, even my phone. And I can read books both old and new.

I read the following books as e-books. E-reading lets me read faster and has me reading books I wouldn't normally checkout!


A Feast For Crows (Game of Thrones # 4)
by George R. R. Martin

LIGHT READING. All of the books in the Game of Thrones series are hefty books. This book alone is 1,104 pages in mass market paperback; the trade paperback and hardback are 784 pages. That's a heavy book to carry around. I was able to download the e-book to my Nook which was much easier to tote and hold comfortably. The series reads quickly and is completely engrossing despite its long length. Start with the first book which you can check out digitally and read on any device.




Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

CONVENIENCE. This book is still popular even though it came out in 2012. When it still had a long waiting list last year, I just had to read it to find out what the fuss was, but I couldn't get my hands on a copy! Then I checked eMedia and found it available. I was able to read it quickly without waiting for the hardback copy to come in. It's nice to have options when you just have to read a book! The twists in this book will keep you guessing until the very end. Don't forget to check for a digital copy if the Library doesn't have a book you're waiting for.




North and South
by John Jakes

SEAMLESS READING. I've always wanted to read the beginning of John Jake's Civil War trilogy and I was surprised to find it available as an e-book. How refreshing that many oldies-but-goodies are now available digitally. Once I started reading, I was hooked. I had to have this book with me everywhere so I checked out both the physical book and e-book. I was able to read the e-book when I was out and about, and read the physical book at home which I left on the bedside table. That way, North and South was always available for me to read and I didn't have to worry about transferring it to and from my purse. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the trilogy and more by John Jakes



  
Bright's Passage
by Josh Ritter

EASY BROWSING. The e-Media website makes browsing easy and enjoyable. You can clearly see book covers and get a description of the book's content from the comfort of your home or any WiFi or Internet connection. You can browse and search by subject with just a click. I found this book just by looking at covers. This one drew me in so I checked out the e-book and was pleasantly surprised. This beautifully written story was sad, funny, and heroic all at once. 




Mind of My Mind (Patternist Series #2)
by Octavia Butler

BONUS MATERIAL. Octavia Butler is one of my favorite writers but that's not why I wanted to read this e-book. A "reprint" of the 1977 science-fiction, this e-book contains an illustrated biography of the author "including rare images from the author's estate." I had to check out the book and see the extra material, then I had to read the book, of course. Many e-books contain bonus material such as author interviews or reading guides which makes a digital checkout even better. 


Why not check out an e-book today? You'll be surprised by what you find!

You can access tons of e-books through our website with just your library card. CLEVNET offers e-books for every reader and device, and it is easy to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment